Sunday, January 01, 2012

New Beginnings

It's the day of resolutions.  The new beginning to becoming all that I really am.  As I face 2012, I find myself wondering if I'll make it, or if I'll be sitting here one year from today, writing the same thing.  I don't want my resolutions to be just dreams, I want them to be something that can really come true.  Something that I can really make happen. 

Armed with my already well-worn copy of Reshaping It All by Candace Cameron Bure (yeah, I was skeptical too), I'm confident that I will fail miserably at keeping any of these resolutions.  But I know who won't.  And so, here I go, reshaping it all, with my eyes on the One who makes all things possible.

Resolved, to live according to the truth found in 1 Timothy 2:17, recognizing that God has given me the spirit of self discipline, so I don't need to search it out anywhere else, and He has given me the spirit of love, so I can be found faithful.

Accordingly, I will strive to live out self discipline and faithful love in the following ways:
* Physically: Food is fuel.  God intended it to taste good and be enjoyable, but "it is only a cookie--it cannot help."  Exercise is an essential part of honoring God physically.  So is sleep. 
    Goal - I want to lose 60 pounds by December 31.
    Plan - I will learn to control my portions, stop eating when I am full, wait 15 minutes before giving in to a craving, get 7 hours of sleep each night, and exercise at least 45 minutes each week day.

* Spiritually: God is my life.  Without Him I am nothing, and I have nothing.  I need to center my day on Him.
    Goal - I want to read through the Bible this year and live a more grateful life.
    Plan - I will spend 30 minutes praying and reading the Bible each morning, using the KINGDOM Bible Reading Plan.  I will also write down a blessing each day using the year calendar from A Holy Experience.

* Mentally: I have spent the last year feeling dry and like I'm barely holding on.  I ended the year getting organized with colored Sharpies and a giant calendar on the wall.  But I still owe myself--and God, who created me with this mind and these passions and talents--more than organized chaos.  I need to challenge and express myself.
    Goal - I want to blog at least 25 days a month, and I want to read at least 24 books this year.
    Plan - I'll read all of our book club books (have the list and can start reading ahead), and I will also try to tackle at least one additional book from my bookshelf each month.  I'm also going to "steal" 15 minutes each day for myself where I can explore my thoughts on my blog. 

On the 24th of each month I'm going to reflect on the previous month so I can measure my progress and make any adjustments I need to.  So, that's it.  Above all, I want to honor Him with each of these areas of my life.  I know that tapping in to the power that He has given me and making Him the focus of it all, I'll make it.  When 2013 dawns, I hope to look just a bit more like who I was created to be and a much greater reflection of the Father who made me that way.

5 comments:

Kevin Kroondyk said...

Wow! Those are some ambitious goals! I pray that on January 1, 2013 you feel proud of what you have accomplished!

Wendy said...

Only 300 blogs, 24 books, 260 workouts, 60 pounds, and the whole Bible? SLACKER!!

Just teasing--love that you are stepping out in that spirit of bold self-discipline!

Sharpies sound like fun. Maybe we should bring some to devos at Devos.

RMMcDowell said...

Thanks, Kevin. Day two, and I'm still encouraged. That counts for something, right?

And, Wendy? Yeah. Way to make it all sound intimidating! Only 298 blogs to go! :)

Jaime and Jason said...

Proud of you Beka!!! You are such an encourager to the ones around you!! Looking forward to reading all your blogs. And seeing how far you come in 2013. Makes me want to make my own goal list and make it happen this year!!!

Anonymous said...

My wife is awesome! Love you Bud, you can do it. I am so proud of how much you have accomlished so far.